I am a huge fan of muffins. Wait, who am I kidding? I’m a huge fan of anything involving carbs. But if I’m going to eat a muffin, I might as well feel like I am getting at least a little bit of nutrition from it, right? Between these and our Green Smoothie Muffins, I can rest easier knowing that we are getting a few veggies in while we carb load. 🙂
These Apple Carrot Muffins with Streusel Topping are the perfect fall treat. And since they have apples and carrots, they can even be served for breakfast!
1. Mix the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix them together, along with the grated carrots and apple, in a stand mixer.
2. Spray your muffin tin with this stuff. It is magical. Fill the muffin tin up with the batter until it is 3/4 full.
3. Mix the streusel topping- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 tablespoons butter cut into chunks, 1 tablespoon honey.
4. Spinkle streusel topping on the unbaked muffins.
5. Pop them in the oven (preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit). Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil (or a different type of oil)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Streusel topping:
- 1¼ cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, combine the wet and dry ingredients as well as the grated carrots and apple.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray and fill up to ¾ full with muffin batter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ingredients for the streusel topping. Combine until crumbly and sprinkle on top of the unbaked muffin batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.