Let me start off by saying that this recipe is one of my family’s absolute favorite meals. It is one of the only meals that every single member devours. The combination of the spicy italian sausage with the creamy sauce makes it truly delicious! Yum!
If you follow the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan, this would be considered a Heavy “S” meal. We paired our pasta with steamed broccoli. Even though this meal meets the criteria for a Trim Healthy Mama “S” meal, this is not a meal you will want to have more than once a month or so to keep from stalling due to the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
As far as the noodles go, there are lots of low-carb options! Zoodles (zucchini noodles), spaghetti squash, shirataki noodles, or konjac noodles would be the healthiest, but I don’t mind eating Dreamfields pasta every once in a while (maybe twice a month). The pictures below are shown with Dreamfields low-carb pasta. Please note: Dreamfields is not gluten free, so you will need to choose another noodle option if your family has a gluten intolerance. And if you aren’t concerned with a low-carb diet, feel free to use your regular noodles for a delicious meal (my kids like penne pasta best)!
Looking for a bland pasta dinner: Our family loves this Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta as well!
Italian Sausage and Spinach Pasta
1. Brown sausage in the tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Drain grease.
2. Meanwhile boil the water for your pasta. Follow the package instructions. I used Dreamfields low-carb spaghetti but would recommend zoodles, spaghetti squash, or konjac noodles.
3. Turn the heat to low and add 2 cups of heavy whipping cream. Dump in the spinach and stir until it is all wilted.
4. Remove from heat and add the 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Stir together and then add the cooked noodles. Serve immediately.
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (or 2 cloves if using fresh)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 cups baby spinach
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 package Dreamfields low-carb pasta (or zoodles, spaghetti squash, or konjac noodles)
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in your pan over medium heat. Brown the italian sausage until almost cooked. Drain any excess fat.
- Meanwhile, boil your water for the pasta in a separate pan. Follow instructions on package (or use your other low-carb noodles).
- Add the garlic, diced onion, salt, and red pepper flakes and cook until sausage is completely cooked through.
- Turn heat to low and add the cream to the skillet. Add your spinach and stir until all spinach is completely wilted.
- Remove from heat and add the parmesan cheese. Stir until sauce thickens.
- Combine noodles and sauce and serve immediately.