This is a hearty meal, perfect for fall, that is great served over rice or tortilla chips (my favorite). This Aztec recipe is adapted from my good friend Kristen and can easily be doubled to feed a crowd!
Just throw together the ingredients for Aztec Chicken in 5 minutes or less…and forget it for the rest of the day until right before you are ready to serve.
How To Make Aztec Chicken In The Crockpot
- Dump black beans, 1 cup of corn, 1/2 cup of salsa, 3/4 tsp. cumin, and 1 clove minced garlic in the crockpot.
2. Add the frozen chicken breasts and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of salsa.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
7 hours later…
4. Shred the chicken and return to the crockpot. I have found the easiest way to shred the chicken is to throw it in your Kitchen Aid mixer for a few seconds or shred it manually.
5. Thirty minutes prior to serving, cube a package of cream cheese.
Add to the top of the chicken mixture.
6. Mix together right before serving.
7. Serve over chips or rice.
Get Your Aztec Chicken Recipe>>>
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 4-5 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
- Tortilla chips or rice
- Green onions for garnish (optional)
- Combine black beans, corn, garlic, cumin, and ½ cup of salsa in the crockpot.
- Arrange frozen chicken over top. Pour remaining salsa over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove and shred, then return to the crockpot.
- Thirty minutes prior to serving, cube a package of cream cheese and place on top of the chicken mixture.
- Once ready to serve, stir until the mixture has blended well. Serve over rice or tortilla chips and top with garnish of green onions.