This cake is to die for. Seriously. I first had this cake at a little coffee shop called Inxpot in Keystone, Colorado (where our family vacations every summer). After a little bit of research, we learned that it comes from the Breadworks Bakery in Boulder. I found a nearly identical recipe online but it is clearly intended for professional bakeries, as all of the ingredients are measured in ounces. 🙂 It took some time, but I was able to successfully convert the quantities of ingredients into something that most of us can bake with!
Make this Oatmeal Coconut Breakfast Cake once…and I guarantee you will be making it again. It is so delicious and my kids love it too! Even though it is called a breakfast cake, it really is more like dessert and can be served any time of day!
1. Combine 1 1/4 cup quick oats and 11 ounces of hot water in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) and 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 heaping cup of granulated sugar.
3. Add vanilla and 1 egg to the butter mixture. I stumbled upon this vanilla bean paste and it is amazing! Next, add the oats to the butter mixture as well.
4. In a separate bowl, mix 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the oats mixture and mix well.
6. Line a springform pan with parchment paper and trim the edges.
7. Pour the cake mixture into the springform pan.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool completely.
9. To make the topping, first cream the butter and brown sugar. Slowly add the cream to the mixture. Next, put the walnuts in the food processor.
10. Add the shredded unsweetened coconut to the mixture. Mix well.
11. Spread the topping over the cake.
12. Put the cake back in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Let the cake cool completely before removing from the springform pan.
Remove from the springform pan and enjoy!
- ¼ c. quick oats
- 11 oz. hot water
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup butter (1½ sticks)
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts
- 6 oz. cream (3/4 cup)
- 7 oz. unsweetened coconut (2½ cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a springform pan with parchment paper.
- Combine hot water and quick oats in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and granulated and brown sugars.
- Add vanilla and one beaten egg and slowly add to the sugar mixture.
- Add the oats and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to the other mixture.
- Pour into the parchment-lined springform pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack before adding the topping.
- To make the topping, put the walnuts in a food processor. Cream butter and brown sugar and gently add the cream. Add the walnuts and coconut to the mixture. Pour the topping mixture over the cake and bake for 30 additional minutes until the top is golden brown. Let cool completely before removing from the springform pan.